Re: CaCO3 dissolution

Dear Ken and Ray,
This discussion is highly interesting but we risk to drift far
beyond the scopes of OCMIP/GOSAC.

For the next few centuries This plays no role at all.
Broecker and Peng (1982) gave an estimate of 2500 years (allowing for
a factor 2 in both directions) for equilibration time. 3_D models
tend to be even slower in timeconstants than well mixed boxes.
Even if we determine riverinput from the models tendency to burial
we don't lknow where it should be injected. It happened that after
several thousands of years the model came into equilibrium with
5 Gt / year of sedimentation and compensating riverinput. Garbage.
With prescribed moderate input it also take some millennia until
the structure of the equilibrium becomes visible. Some of you may
be reluctant to plan a dozen of such long runs.

Seeking for an optimal description of todays alkalinity is a different
task. Most of the NA-NP difference is determined by the conveyor belt
circulation . we don't need essentially different mechanisms.
Some mysteries like the miscorrelation between Alk and Ca in NP remain.
Also, the rain ration is still not settled (I don't believe the japanese
0.07)

Nevertheless, for OCMIP it is more important that we do all the same than
that everybody seeks for utmost realism
My suggestion is: let us assume 0.08 for rain ratio and same particle
profile for Corg and Ccarb. Then the production is neutral with respect
to Alk and we don't worry about.
Ernst