time table and deadlines

Jim,

Thanks for taking the lead on these "how to documents" without which
I think it would be difficult to ensure that we are all working on
the same problem.

I talked with Ray Najjar the other day, and I am a bit concerned about the
computation timeframe. In particular, it will be difficult for us here
at NCAR to complete the CFC simulations in essentially the 7 weeks left
before the Sept. 15th deadline, and I don't think it is reasonable to assign
such a short deadline considering the delay in actually defining the
final experiment. I am not sure of other groups situation, but we have
to compete with other scientists for computer time and do not have the
luxury of taking as much computer time as we need.

Also, from looking at the time table posted on the web, I don't think
proper consideration has been given to the fact that many of these
runs are sequential. For example, the C-14 and nutrient restoring equilibrium
runs have to be completed prior to the anthropogenic perturbation and bomb
C-14 runs but they are all slated to start in the Fall. Also, for reasons
of economy, I would prefer to see only a small number of equilibrium
and transient calculations, but that can only be done if we agree on
the procedures prior to the start of the first equilibrium runs.

				Scott

Scott Doney                                   phone: (303) 497-1639
Climate and Global Dynamics                   FAX: (303) 497-1700
National Center for Atmospheric Research      email: doney@ncar.ucar.edu
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307                             world wide web:
USA                          http://www.cgd.ucar.edu:80/oce/doney/doney.html