CFC Analysis

Hello,

As you have been informed recently by e-mail, the analysis of the CFCs
simulation is begining. You can already see the first results on the AJAX
section on our web site.

The purpose of this mail is to inform you about my plan for the preliminary
analysis of these run, and to ask you to give me some information about
your model configuration.

1) CFC Analysis - first program.

My aim is to have a first analysis of the behavior of the model for several
ventilation processes. I will described these processes for each section
that I will loock at for this primilary analysis.

+ AJAX Section (1983) - 0W from antartica to Africa:

- - deep water formation (AABW)
- - Intermediate water formation (AAIW)
- - Thermocline ventilation (vertical and meridional structure..)

+ Oceanus88 section - 20E from the equatorial region to Island

- -subpolar mode water formation
- -Thermocline ventilation (vertical and meridional structure..)
- -Mediteranean overflow (if any)
- -Labrador Sea Water recirculation

+ OCE134 (1986) Section - DWBC along the american coast

- - deep water ventilation vertical structure in the DWBC: upper and lower
NADW signal...
- - deep ocean ventilation: "recirculation" or exchange between DWBC and the
interior of the ocean.

- - Pacifique Sections (TPS24,TPS47,CO2-87,C02-88):
 global overview of thermocline ventilation:
subtropical mode water subduction, subpolar gyre ventilation (winter
mixed-layer depth..)

Vertical inventory of the simulations along all these section will be
compared to the one estimated from the data.

global (or regional) inventory (year 1990) will althoug be calculated for
each simulation, in order to give information about the models' ability to
uptake anthropogenic components.

I hope that this first evaluation of the models will already give
interessant information and that it will be useful for the other runs
(C02..) analysis.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please dont hesitate to contact
me. This first plan analysis is just a proposition, and it may be changed
regarding your comments, or the nature of the results obtained during this
analysis.

2) model description

for this first analysis, I althoug need some information about your model:

- - grid type (B,C..)
- -Horizontal resolution (ex: 2x15)
- -surface boundary conditions (T,S restoring, bulk formula (what kind))
- -subgrid scale mixing (Horizontal, Isopycnal, Gent & Mc Williams..)
                       viscosity (ndlr for the dynamics)
and the value of all the coefficients of these prametrization

- -scheme for advection (centered, upstram..)

- -mixed layer parametrization (if any), convective adjustment, TKE closure
- -ice model (what kind,..)
- -time steps (dynamics and tracers)
- -equation of state used to compute density (ex: Unesco 1983)

I will be very pleased, if somebody in every modeling group can provide me
these informations.

Sincerely

Jean-Claude

                   __\/__
                  / ^  _ \
               (\| (o)(o) |/)
************.OOOo****oo****oOOO.************************
Jean-Claude DUTAY
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE)
CEA-CNRS / UMR 1572
CEA, Centre d'Etudes de Saclay,
L'orme des merisiers, bat. 701, pice 60
91191 Gif sur Yvette, France
Tel: (international 33 or national 0) 1 69 08 31 12
fax: (international 33 or national 0) 1 69 08 77 16
E-mail: dutay@lsce.saclay.cea.fr
                .oooO  (   )
                 \ (   (_/
                  \_)