Use anonymous ftp server and ferret with OCMIP data

- --------------5F2C62E64C4451FEB47FD0F8

Dear ocmip modellers,

Here are the use of our anonymous ftp server
and a "trick" to check your OCMIP data output
with Ferret.

1) ftp: ftp.cea.fr
2) user: anonymous
3) passwd: your full email
4) cd incoming2/par-ici9803/OCMIP
5) mkdir <your group name>
6) binary
7) put your data and then inform me
8) mail brock@lsce.saclay.cea.fr

Why does Ferret crash when you open your OCMIP output data ?
Ferret expects that coordinate variables are vectors (1D variable)
and exits when those variables are 2D (?!).
I will ask to the Ferret development team to modify this undesired exit.

Waiting that, you can use nco commands
(http://neit.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/nco/).
Just modify the name of the lon and lat dimensions with the following
command
ncrename -d lon,lon1 -d lat,lat1 infile.nc outfile.nc
Now Ferret will not complain about the coordinate variables since they
are
no more consider as coordinate but as simple variables.
You can then use Ferret (v4.91) command like shade var,lon ,lat

Happy new year to all.

Patrick

- --
Patrick BROCKMANN (LSCE/CNRS-CEA Saclay)
Unite mixte de recherche CNRS-CEA
L'Orme des Merisiers - Bat.701 - CEA/Saclay
91191 GIF sur YVETTE cedex - FRANCE
Tel : 01 69 08 87 29 - Fax : 01 69 08 77 16
mailto:brock@lsce.saclay.cea.fr

- --------------5F2C62E64C4451FEB47FD0F8

<HTML>
Dear ocmip modellers,

<P>Here are the use of our anonymous ftp server
<BR>and a "trick" to check your OCMIP data output
<BR>with Ferret.

<P>**********************************************
<BR>1) ftp: ftp.cea.fr
<BR>2) user: anonymous
<BR>3) passwd: your full email
<BR>4) cd incoming2/par-ici9803/OCMIP
<BR>5) mkdir &lt;your group name>
<BR>6) binary
<BR>7) put your data and then inform me
<BR>8) mail brock@lsce.saclay.cea.fr

<P>*********************************************
<BR>Why does Ferret crash when you open your OCMIP output data ?
<BR>Ferret expects that coordinate variables are vectors (1D variable)
<BR>and exits when those variables are 2D (?!).
<BR>I will ask to the Ferret development team to modify this undesired
exit.
<BR>Waiting that, you can use nco commands (<A HREF="http://neit.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/nco/">http://neit.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/nco/</A>).
<BR>Just modify the name of the lon and lat dimensions with the following
command
<BR>ncrename -d lon,lon1 -d lat,lat1 infile.nc outfile.nc
<BR>Now Ferret will not complain about the coordinate variables since they
are
<BR>no more consider as coordinate but as simple variables.
<BR>You can then use Ferret (v4.91) command like shade var,lon ,lat

<P>**********************************************
<BR>Happy new year to all.

<P>Patrick
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Patrick BROCKMANN (LSCE/CNRS-CEA Saclay)
Unite mixte de recherche CNRS-CEA
L'Orme des Merisiers - Bat.701 - CEA/Saclay&nbsp;&nbsp;
91191 GIF sur YVETTE cedex - FRANCE&nbsp;
Tel : 01 69 08 87 29 - Fax : 01 69 08 77 16
<A HREF="mailto:brock@lsce.saclay.cea.fr">mailto:brock@lsce.saclay.cea.fr</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------5F2C62E64C4451FEB47FD0F8--