Re: Biotic HOWTO

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your comments about the positivity.  I cc'd your message to the
OCMIP mailing list since others may want to try your approach and contact you
for the details and any questions.  I prefer to let individual modeling
groups to solve numerical problems (such as positivity) as they see fit, since
different groups employ different numerical schemes.

About the CaCO3, no, not all of the CaCO3 precipitated is dissolved in the
bottom grid box.  The dissolution has a length scale of 3500 m.  Any flux
that reaches the bottom is dissolved there.  In this way, Ca2+ is conserved
since all that is removed above 75 m is instantaneously redistributed below.

Just to be clear, "compensation depth" does not refer to the CCD!  It refers
to, essentially, the euphotic zone depth, and maybe I should have used that
term to avoid confusion.

Hope that helps.

Ray