alkalinity

Dear all,

>The quantity to look at is
>alkbal= alk -16 (particulate org + dissolved org) P +2 CaCO
>This is obviously conserved in the processes under consideration.
>Then we are again faced with tuning the inventory to match 278
>preindustrial ppm. I strongly vote against periodical adjustment.
>Ernst

Ernst is right. I also vote strongly against periodical
adjustment. This would mean adding or removing alkalinity from the
ocean system.

Note that for instantaneous decay of particulate org and
CaCO as assumed in the protocol the balance equation is further
simplified to

alkbal(ocmip-ocean)=alk -16 dissolved org P

Similar, we need of to conserve

P_bal=PO4 + DOP

Fortunat
- --
Fortunat Joos
Physics Institute, KUP, Sidlerstr. 5, CH-3012 Bern

Phone:    ++41(0)31 631 44 61
Fax:      ++41(0)31 631 44 05
e-mail:   joos@climate.unibe.ch
Internet: http://www.climate.unibe.ch/~joos/