Princeton OCMIP workshop -- Agenda (tentative)

Hello all,

Our Princeton workshop is in less than 2 months.  Below is a tentative
agenda. Any comments are most welcome.

Also, logistics require that we have a definitive list of attendees.
Please confirm with me by Friday 26 May (in 8 days) if you will attend.

Thanks,

Jim
Tentative Agenda for OCMIP-2 Princeton Workshop (5-7 July 2000)
===================
Wednesday 5 July
===================
Wednesday PM - Theme: Special issues (CO2 Injection, analysis)
 1:00 PM   - Welcome (Sarmiento)
           - Workshop Objectives and Plan (Orr)
 1:15 PM   - CO2 Injection results (Orr)
 2:00 PM   - Discussion
 2:30 PM   - Coffee break
 3:00 PM   - Current OCMIP-2 analysis (Brockmann)
             * OCMIP-2 model output archive
             * General analysis strategy
             * Visualization -- GAP 2.0 (review, new features, plans)
             * GAP tutorial
 5:00 PM   - End

================
Thursday  6 July
================
Thursday AM  -> Theme: Natural "Steady-State" Ocean
 8:30 AM  - Physical Analysis (T, S, advection, etc)
            * Progress on analysis, needs, and plans  (Lindsay)
            * Discussion
 9:00 AM  - Equilibrium C-14
            * State of WOCE C-14 database (Key)
 9:15 AM    * Model-model and model-data comparison (Orr, 40 min)
 9:45 AM    * Discussion

10:00 AM  - Coffee

10:15 AM  - Equilibrium CO2 (Biotic and Abiotic)
            * Air-sea fluxes and carbon transport (Monfray)
            * Discussion

11:00 AM  - Biogeochemistry
            * PO4, O2, and New Production (Louanchi and Najjar)
            * Discussion

Noon      - Break for lunch

- --------------------------------------
Thursday PM  -> Theme: Perturbed Ocean
- --------------------------------------
 1:30 PM  - Changes in C-14
            * WOCE-era Bomb vs. Natural C-14 (Key)
 1:45 PM    * Comparison: Suess effect, Bomb perturbation, and
                          WOCE-GEOSECS (Orr and Key)
 2:15 PM    * Discussion

 2:30 PM  - Changes in CO2 (Modern Perturbation, Future)
            * Model results and model-data comparison (Orr)
 3:00 PM    * Towards validating data-based estimates (Sabine and Gruber)
 3:15 PM    * Discussion

 3:30 PM  - Coffee break

 3:45 PM  - CFC's
            * State of WOCE CFC database (Bullister)
 4:00 PM    * 1st paper submitted; future comparison plans (Dutay) ?
 4:30 PM    * Discussion

 4:45 PM  - Multi-tracer comparison (C-14 vs. CO2 vs. CFC's)

 5:30 PM  - Session ends

================
Friday    7 July
================
Friday AM -> Theme: The next step? (General Discussion)
8:30 AM to Noon - Some questions, amongst others, that should be addressed:

                  (1) Should OCMIP-2 be extended?
                  (2) If so, what analysis and sensitivity tests are of most
                      interest
                  (3) After OCMIP-2, should we end cooperation?
                  (4) If not, what should we do and when?
                  (5) Should we be encouraging stronger links with ocean
                      transport modelers (WCRP/WOCE/CLIVAR) and ocean
                      biologists and biogeochemists (other IGBP projects)?
                  (6) If so, how?
                  (7) What about links with other comparison projects
                      (e.g., TRANSCOM and CMIP)?

Friday PM  -> Theme:  Features and limitations of available software for
                      model comparison; what do we need?
1:00 PM   - GAP             (Brockmann)
1:20 PM   - Ferret          (Hankin)
1:40 PM   - Ocean Data View (Schlitzer)
2:00 PM   - Discussion
2:30 PM   - (*)Coffee Break
2:45 PM   - Technically oriented working group meets to develop outline
            of needs and recommendations for analysis software improvements
5:00 PM   - Meeting adjourns

* OCMIP Task Team breaks off on Friday at 2:45 PM for meeting that will
  extend through dinner

   James Orr
   Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS

   LSCE, CEA Saclay                http://www.ipsl.jussieu.fr/~jomce