Re: future directions in ocean carbon-cycle modeling

Dear Ken and Corrine:

	Having spent a good part of the past year preparing planning documents
for NOAA on this very issue, I am sure my views are somewhat myopic.
However, here are some bullets for you to use from the observational
side of things.

1. Design and implement a new program of ship-of-opportunity surveys and
drifter experiments focussed
on improving estimates of the magnitude and interannual variability of
upper ocean carbon fluxes in the major ocean basins.

2. Design and implement a new basin-scale survey program optimized to
improve estimates of the decadal changes of the anthropogenic carbon
sinks in the major ocean basins.

3. Initiate a new program of cruise-based observations and moored sensor
deployments to determine
how carbon fluxes and ecosystem structure respond to physical
variability on ENSO, NAO, and PDO time scales.

4. Establish mechanistic relationships between ecosystem structure,
carbon fluxes, physical forcing and environmental boundary conditions,
incorporating evolving hypotheses concerning the response of Southern
Ocean biogeochemical systems to climate change.

5. Continue development of new instrumentation for continuous or
autonomous sensing of important biogeochemical properties (e.g., pCO2
and TCO2, pH, nutrients, iron, optical properties, etc.).
Best Regards,

Dick Feely

--
Richard A. Feely