Re: future directions in ocean carbon-cycle modeling

Hi Corinne and Ken,

	Here are some quick thoughts.

Jorge

At 10:00 AM -0700 8/23/00, Ken Caldeira wrote:
>We (Corinne Lequere and Ken Caldeira) are tasked with discussing
>future directions in ocean carbon-cycle modeling at the upcoming
>SCOR/IOC Ocean CO2 Panel meeting.
>
>So that we can avoid overemphasizing our own parochial biases, it
>would be helpful if ocean carbon-cycle modelers could send us a
>succinct e-mail message describing your views on:
>
>1. modeling: Where should emphasis be placed in ocean carbon-cycle
>modeling over the next decade?

	I think that we need to find creative ways of using our new
(and evolving) observational data base to constrain the models so
that they are getting the right answers for the right reasons.  I
think that the key issue is to find ways to examining the relative
roles of mixing and advection in getting the tracers into the ocean
and to understand how numerics influences the results.  The long term
behavior of tracer uptake by the ocean is very sensitive to whether
advection or diffusion are doing the work.

	I also believe that interannual variability is going to be a
critical issue to address.

>2. observations: Which observations or observational programs could
>most cost-effectively advance the state of ocean carbon-cycle
>simulation over the next decade?

	We need to be able to monitor the air-sea flux continuously
with good regional resolution.  I think it will be possible to do
this if we are willing to put the resources into it.  We cannot trust
remote sensing to do this for us.  The correlations of delta pCO2
with temperature and color are not good enough, though these
satellite data sets will help us to extrapolate.  We are doing some
work on sampling strategies with various other people and it is
beginning to look to me that we can develop such a monitoring
program.  A major issue is to resolve the gas exchange coefficient
problem, but there has been good progress on this.

	Repeat sections will enable us to document tracer entry into
the abyss as well as whether the upper ocean is absorbing CO2 at the
expected rate.

Best regards, Jorge

--
Jorge L. Sarmiento
AOS Program, Princeton U.

Tel. (609) 258-6585
Fax. (609) 258-2850
E-mail: jls@splash.princeton.edu

See the Carbon Modeling Consortium web site at
http://www.cmc.princeton.edu/