Job Ad

Title: Job Ad
Hi all,

        Many of you are perhaps aware of the fact that I have several post-doctoral and technical staff positions open.  I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know of any exciting candidates and pass this advertisement on to them.  I am in the final stages of the search right now so would need to hear from any possible candidates within the next week or so.

Best regards, Jorge

P.S. Sorry if you get several copies of this.  I wanted to be sure to cover all the really relevant mail lists.  J.S.

Post-doctoral and Technical Staff Positions in the Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences and Princeton Environmental Institute at Princeton University

The Biogeochemistry Modeling Group headed by Prof. Jorge Sarmiento is seeking energetic and enthusiastic individuals to participate in the development of models of ocean biogeochemical cycles and ocean ecology and their relationship to climate and ocean circulation, as well as the analysis of relevant atmospheric and oceanic observations.  Several postdoctoral and/or technical staff positions are available.  This effort is part of a broad modeling and observational study of the temporal and spatial distribution of anthropogenic carbon sources and sinks in the past, present, and future, as well as the potential for sequestration of anthropogenic carbon.

Individuals will work under the direction of Jorge Sarmiento and/or other members of the Biogeochemistry Modeling Group and in collaboration with members of the Carbon Modeling Consortium and NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory.  Areas of particular interest include: ocean ecosystem modeling, with a particular emphasis on the impact of ecology on ocean biogeochemistry; development of coupled atmosphere-ocean climate models of the carbon cycle for the study of the response of ocean biogeochemistry to climate change and for analysis of oceanic carbon sequestration scenarios; analysis and interpretation of atmospheric and oceanic observations to study interannual variability of carbon sources and sinks; and analysis and interpretation of carbon system and tracer observations to study ocean biogeochemical cycling.
Candidates for a postdoctoral research position must posses a Ph.D. in the earth, applied math, physical, biological, or chemical sciences. Training in oceanic and/or atmospheric sciences strongly preferred.  Candidates for a technical staff position will be expected to participate in the development of computer programs for the study of physical, chemical, and biological processes; and the coupling of these to an earth system model including atmospheric and terrestrial processes, and therefore must possess a bachelor's degree or higher and have computer programming experience.

Send letter and resume with two references to: Jorge L. Sarmiento, Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Department of Geosciences, Princeton University, Code: TS/JLS-12/99, P.O. Box CN710 Princeton, NJ  08544-0710, e-mail: jls@princeton.edu

Princeton University in an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.  M/F.
--
Jorge L. Sarmiento
AOS Program, Princeton U.

Tel. (609) 258-6585
Fax. (609) 258-2850
E-mail: jls@splash.princeton.edu

See the Carbon Modeling Consortium web site at
http://www.cmc.princeton.edu/