Re: perturbation calculations and alkalinity

Christoph,

This sounds interesting. Please send me a copy

Note that there was a typo in the Sarmiento et al. paper.

Regards, Fortunat

christoph voelker wrote:

> Dear OCMIPers,
> those of you making perturbation CO2 simulations might be interested
> in a generalization of the Sarmiento et al. (1992) formula for calculating
> dpCO2 from dDIC (also in Siegenthaler and Joos (1992)):
> The generalization takes into account variations in salinity and alkalinity,
> making use of empirical relations between T,S, and Alk.
> The main effect is an increase in surface anthropogenic CO2 in the subtropical
> gyres by up to 8%, due to the higher salinity and alkalinity there,  and a
> slight decrease in high latitudes. The effect on total inventories of
> anthrop. CO2, is quite small (2% increase in my Atlantic only
> simulations), though. I have a small manuscript on this, anyone interested
> can get it from me by email.
>
> Greetings, Christoph

> Dr. Christoph Voelker
> Institut fuer Meereskunde an der Universitaet Kiel
> Duesternbrooker Weg 20, 24105 Kiel, Germany
> Tel. ++49 431 597 3877      email cvoelker@ifm.uni-kiel.de

- --

NEW FAX NUMBER; NEW FAX NUMBER; NEW FAX NUMBER; NEW FAX NUMBER;

Fortunat Joos, Climate and Environmental Physics
Sidlerstr. 5, CH-3012 Bern
Phone:    ++41(0)31 631 44 61      Fax:      ++41(0)31 631 87 42
e-mail:   joos@climate.unibe.ch;   Internet:
http://www.climate.unibe.ch/~joos/